Friday, February 19, 2010

Frank's Daily Song #4

I missed a day, it's true. Here is #4. I'll post #5 a little bit later.



A Tribe Called Quest - "Award Tour"


A Tribe Called Quest are easily my favorite hip hop act of all time. The first time that I had ever heard a Quest song was when I was 16 or 17 years old. I was driving around with a friend of mine in the suburbs and he had put "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" on a mix CD. I remember saying to him that I hated him for not showing it to me earlier in my life. The very next day, I went to Borders and bought two Quest records, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm and Midnight Marauders, the release that contains the track featured in this post.

"Award Tour" was always the stand-out track to me on Midnight Marauders. The production is so smooth. The electric piano loop in this song is so infectious that it gets stuck in your head by itself. Q-Tip rhymes the first verse on this track and I feel like it is the best instance of his vocals on the entire record.

"Award Tour" does not hold enough water by itself to really convey how great of a record Midnight Marauders is. I strongly suggest picking up this album.




A TRIBE CALLED QUEST -"AWARD TOUR"


No comments:

Post a Comment